STERLING SILVER CLEANING & CARE
Your Marahlago Larimar jewelry has been handcrafted and is made with high-quality materials; if cared for properly, it can last a lifetime! Follow these tips to keep your jewelry shiny and beautiful!
Click here for a cleaning recipe with ingredients you may already have at home!
If you notice a problem with your jewelry, contact us immediately to prevent more extensive damage or loss.
WIPING DOWN YOUR JEWELRY DAILY
Wipe down your Larimar jewelry with a microfiber cloth after each wear—the Marahlago polishing cloth included with your piece is ideal. The reason why is that air pollutants, dust, perspiration, perfumes and other natural elements can dull the appearance of the gemstones and precious metals overtime.
If you’ve lost your Marahlago silver polishing cloth, good quality replacements such as those made by Connoisseurs can be bought online or in stores for just a few dollars.
HOW TO STORE YOUR JEWELRY AFTER USE
When not in use, store your Marahlago Larimar jewelry in the pouch it came in. If you plan on not wearing it for long periods of time, store in airtight packaging like a ziplock bag to prevent tarnishing and scratching.
WHAT CAUSES GEMSTONE AND SILVER DAMAGE
To avoid damage to the Larimar gemstones and sterling silver in your Marahlago jewelry, we strongly recommend that you avoid exposing it to:
- Chlorine, including that in swimming pools and hot tubs
- Household cleaning chemicals
- Extreme heat or light
- Salt water
All sterling silver can scratch. Take a few precautions: avoid wearing your rings and bracelets while doing any manual labor, or any time they might be subjected to being hit.
WHY IS MY STERLING SILVER TURNING BLACK
Acidic environments can promote oxidation which causes silver to turn black. Sweat and oils on your skin, medications, diet, and other factors can make your skin more acidic. If your Marahlago Larimar jewelry is showing signs of turning black quickly, contact us here.
MINIMIZE AND REMOVE TARNISH
Plating damages gemstones; for that reason, many of our sterling silver settings are not plated. This means the silver settings will naturally tarnish over time. When caught early and cleaned regularly, it can be removed easily, but can cause permanent discoloration if left unchecked. Wipe off your jewelry after each use and clean it regularly!
To remove heavier tarnish, follow the recipe here.
Accent gemstones, such as sapphires, blue topaz, and spinel, often have a hollow space in the back to catch light, but it can also attract oils and lotions, causing them to look dull.
To clean them, soak them in a bowl of water with a touch of gentle dish soap. A soft toothbrush may be used to scrub around and behind the stone. After cleaning, place your jewelry in a strainer and rinse before thoroughly drying it with a clean lint-free cloth.
WHAT NOT TO DO WITH YOUR JEWELRY
- Do NOT use silver polish or dip style cleaning solutions, as they can remove the antique oxidation on many Marahlago Larimar silver pieces that give them their distinctive look. If more thorough cleaning is required, contact us here.
- Do NOT size any Marahlago ring or bracelet. Excess heat can damage the stone and the finishes on the metal. If you need a custom size, contact us to see if it is available in the style that you want.
- Do NOT bend cuff bracelets. If the shape is distorted, the settings can be damaged, which can cause stones to dislodge. A properly sized cuff bracelet does not need to be squeezed to fit properly. Contact us for custom sizes.