There are many reasons why silver tarnishes, but there is a very simple method using everyday household ingredients that will dislodge the tarnish and leave your marahlago jewelry clean and shiny again. This technique will not damage the pearls or other accent stones in your marahlago jewelry and it is also gentle enough that it will not harm the surface of the larimar or the oxidised finishes of the vintage styles.
You will need;
- Small Bowl
- 1 sheet of tinfoil
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon white salt
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/2 cup of boiling water
- marahlago jewelry Polishing cloth
- Line the bottom of the bowl with the tinfoil, shiny side up.
- Add the baking Soda and Salt.
- Add the vinegar slowly and wait for the fizzing to subside and make sure that all the granules are dissolved (it is fine to add a splash of vinegar to help with this).
- Add boiling water the the bowl (it is very important that the water is boiling)
||Add your marahlago jewelry to the bowl and let it sit for several minutes. You need to ensure that the silver is in contact with the aluminum so that there is an electrolytic reaction, after a few minutes flip and leave them to sit on that side for a few more minutes.
||Remove the jewelry and rinse under tap water.
||Gently wipe the pieces with an absorbent towel and then polish with your marahlago polishing cloth that came with your pieces any tarnish not transferred to the foil should be very easy to remove.
||For best results always store your silver jewelry in airtight poly bags. This will help to eliminate airborne sulphur and dramatically decrease the tarnishing.